Do you have trouble getting your calf muscles to grow? Calf muscles seem to be a more difficult muscle to build and require a different training philosophy than most muscles.
Tips to growing bigger calf muscles
- Make sure you have incorporated squats and deadlift into your routine. These are great core exercises for the legs that also hit the calf muscles.
- Lift heavy and hard. Make sure you are lifting heavy and getting at least 8 reps. Aim for 4 sets on each exercise.
- Hit the calf from different angles. Make sure when doing calf raises that you vary the angle of your feet. Vary your toes inward and outward to hit different muscles in the calf.
- Do 2-3 exercises directly hitting the calf muscles. Some good ideas of exercises include: standing calf raises, seated calf raises, donkey calf raises, and calf raises on the leg press machine.
- Vary your routine from week to week. Change the exercises, reps, or weight from week to week.
- Last but not least – make sure you are eating enough calories and protein to help your muscles grow!