Well Hurricane Ike blew through the Houston area this last weekend and left almost everyone without power for several days. Electrical lines all over Houston and the surrounding area have either been damaged by the wind or the fallen trees.
Eating well without electricity can be pretty tough. Here are two main issues that arise without electricity:
- You cannot store cold food in your refrigerator, therefore everything needs to be thrown out. Without a cooler with ice, eating meats, cheeses, and other foods that need to be stored cool is no longer an option
- Heating food by your electric oven or electric stove is no longer an option. Having an outdoor propane or charcoal grill can be very handy in this situation
So what are some healthy foods you can eat taking account this situation?
- Protein Bars
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches
- Beef Jerky
- Assorted nuts and dried fruit
- Meal replacement drink or protein drink mixed with water
- Can of Tuna
I managed to survive on most of this list. Do not forget to have bottled water ready. Sometimes when your electricity is out the water might not be working and it could be unsafe to drink.
If you can get the foods on this list along with plenty of water you will be in pretty god shape in keeping a healthy diet.
If you are anticipating the electricity to be out a few days because of a hurricane or other natural disaster then I would stock up on some ice and make sure you have a big cooler. That way when the electricity does go out you can transfer some meats from you refrigerator into the cooler. You can then cook or heat these with your propane or charcoal grill.
Anyone else affected by any hurricanes this summer? Please share any tips or experienced you had.