Everyone wants to save time, right? Especially when it comes to working out, people are always looking for something to be more effective and less time consuming. Every few years, a new group of health-conscious consumers will buy the next big workout trend which promises results that are too good to be true in a time frame that is just not realistic. That being said, what if I told you that your workout is a waste of time? It’s true, spending time on the elliptical or treadmill is not going to be an efficient way to help you meet your physical goals.
Now maybe you paid a lot of money for your treadmill and you just can’t live without your mindless cardio. If for some reason you truly enjoy wasting your time on the treadmill or elliptical, you should keep at it. An enjoyable exercise program is hard for some people to find, so if you are able to stick with it, it is probably better than nothing.
I firmly believe that using cardio machines is quite ineffective and a waste of time. If you have a busy schedule, you are better of making a different choice. You may be wondering why I have such a disdain for cardio machines like elliptical and treadmills.Here are my top five reasons why:
Top 5 Reasons to Avoid treadmills and Ellipticals for Cardio
1. Trotting away on a treadmill to nowhere will get you…well nowhere. It is the most boring form of exercise imaginable.
2. This type is less effective because you are so disconnected with your body. Instead of really engaging with the workout process, you are just watching TV or reading a book. This isn’t the ideal workout scenario. You need to be engaged with what your body is doing.
3. Science has proven that treadmill running is less effective than “real” running. You are actually burning fewer calories on the treadmill than if you went out for a run in nature. Why choose a stinky gym or your basement workout room over nature?
4. Both treadmills and elliptical are an expensive at-home workout options. There are other more affordable ways to workout at home. You can set up a home gym for very little money. Or if you prefer, get outside and so some real exercise like kayaking or skiing.
5. The inefficient of treadmills makes them an inferior option compared to other exercise regimens. You will get a low metabolic response and spend countless hours for very little results.
So you are probably wondering what you should be doing in place of your cardio machines. The simple answer is there are many better alternatives that cost way less money while also helping you to get a great workout. With a little creativity and imagination, you won’t want to go back to your treadmill. One very cheap solution is to use a jump rope. You can do a variety of exercises with jump ropes (speed jumping or double jumps) and your metabolic response will be through the roof. You can also try swimming, hill-sprinting, kettlebell training, bodyweight training, or shadowboxing. All of these workouts have a much better mind-body connections , are more effective, and will be less time-consuming than the treadmill or elliptical.
Whatever exercise program you choose, remember to be intentional and connected to your workout. If you can watch TV or read during a workout, you probably aren’t working out hard enough and not connected to your body. We are all trying to figure out how to save time in our lives, why waste time in your workout?