Workout Goal: Strengthen the muscles while boosting sports performance
Features: Full Body Workout
For almost any sport that you participate in, two key qualities you want to have developed within yourself is a high amount of power and a high amount of sheer strength. This is going to allow you to see the most well rounded performance and ensure that you’re able to play to your best capability.
In order to achieve a level of maximum power with your training, it’s going to be very vital that you’re focusing in on the tempo of the exercises that are performed, speeding up the contraction portion of the exercise while extending the lengthening portion of the exercise.
This is going to be what allows you to be quick on your feet and react as necessary in order to save a play. In addition to that, you don’t want to cut out all of your heavy training as the heavy lifting is what enables you to build up a sheer amount of strength behind you.
This workout routine is going to target both of these elements as in the first workout session you’ll focus on sheer strength and in the second, your focus will turn towards maximum speed and power.
You’ll hit each muscle group twice throughout the week allowing time for recovery as well as the sports training practices and games that you participate in.
- Always be sure to start with a ten minute warm-up of five minutes of light cardio along with an initial warm-up set on your first lift. Aim to lift only a small amount of weight on this set but focus on using correct form to get the blood flowing to the muscles
- Use a heavy enough weight that has you fully fatigued by the time you hit the last rep indicated but not so heavy that you aren’t able to maintain good form
- Be sure to follow the tempo’s indicated as this is critical to achieving maximum results from the set-up
- Always allow for at least one day of rest between workouts, preferably two or more
- Make sure to consume your post-workout meal or shake immediately after this workout to promote maximum recovery
Day 1: Strength Focus
|Barbell Squat||5||5||2 minutes|
|Bench Press||4||6||2 minutes|
|Barbell Row||4||6||2 minutes|
|Superset: Bicep Curls, Tricep Extension||2||10||30 seconds|
|Superset: Lateral Raise, Front Raise||2||10||30 seconds|
|Decline weighted twisting crunch||2||12||30 seconds|
Day 2: Speed/Power Focus
|Leg Press||3||10||90 seconds|
|Chest Press||3||10||90 seconds|
|Lat Pull-Down||2||10||90 seconds|
|Shoulder Press||3||10||30 seconds|
|Superset: Leg Extensions, Hamstring curl||2||10||30 seconds|
|Superset: Seated calf raise, standing calf raise||2||12||30 seconds|
|Plank||2||-||60 second hold|